Monday 4 November 2013

Week 4 and Week 5 reflection

So this two week we were given one task if my memory serve me right. It was using the checklist given to us by our lecturer to do an evaluation of a textbook more specifically a chapter of the textbook well actually two chapter or three. My group we were given the Byrd checklist which sounds more like bird than Byrd right. Well that's just my own opinion. After we did our analysis and evaluation were to make a presentation slide about the problem we face during using the checklist and the solution we can use.

How it affects me?
Well at first it was hard and confusing reading Byrd's article since we never read anything related to checklist criterion and stuff like that. So there a lot of fuss on how we should do the presentation because no one really understand the article at first. As for me I thought the two checklist given inside the article were both Byrd's checklist but instead the first checklist was the original version from where the Byrd's checklist were modified and the second checklist was the real Byrd's checklist. That was my own mistake for not noticing. So just reading and understanding the article was confusing but with the help of my friend we manage to understand it. Then we use the checklist on two chapter of the textbook and we found it hard to do. Because the Byrd's checklist is only suitable for use if you want to make an evaluation of the textbook as a whole not chapter by chapter. So we conclude that the only way for us to make an evaluation of a chapter in a textbook is to use other checklist that specifically targets chapters of a textbook.

How does it affect my current level of knowledge?
I never knew that we(future teacher) need to make an evaluation and analysis of a textbook. It comes as a shock to me that we need to an evaluation of a textbook.  I always thought that textbook are there only for us to follow it and teach the students with it and now that  I know i'm going to need to make an evaluation in the near future I feel a little bit relieved that I have knowledge on checklist and how to use it as well as when and which one I need to use for my evaluation. So I guess i'm thankful my lecturer gave me this knowledge.

How can I use this knowledge to improve myself?
In textbook there are a lot of activity from different theme. From my experience as a student I found  that a teacher of mine when she uses the textbook to teach me it always follow the sequence in which it was already decided. Even when the activity does not suit our need or is not that good she still uses it. So for me, i'm thinking that isn't it better to use the textbook according to the suitability of the activity and not just following the sequence. Another point is that if the activity is not suitable then would it not be better to use a different activity. I doubt that she used a checklist to improve or modify the activity in the textbook because if she did then we wouldn't use the textbook in every single class.
If it were me it should be possible for me to make a new material which is suitable for them and although constant evaluation of textbook is somewhat not entirely possible nowadays at least the use of checklist should be implement so that I and other teachers can at least see the activity that can and cannot be use for class. As teacher we should and must modify the activity when the need of it rises.

No comments:

Post a Comment